Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Raven's Shadow



"Raven's Shadow"
Patricia Briggs
The Raven Duology
High Fantasy

Summary
A Raven Sorcerer, one of the wondering wizards, a traveler, and the protectors of all man kind, has abandoned her post to become a wife and mother. After the death of her whole clan by disease Seraph traveled with her brother until he was killed by angry villagers.

After being saved from the mob by Tier, a solder who seeks only to leave the killing behind, Seraph falls in love with him and leaves the travelers life behind and marries Tier. Together they farmed the land and built a family, but Seraph has left her magic behind.

Over 15 years later Tier and Seraph have built a life together and have had three children all gifted in some way, but now Tier has gone missing and it is up to his family to find him and save the kingdom even if no one knows that it is in trouble.

Review
I picked this book up on a whim from a used book store, and loved it. It has been a long time sense I have read a book like this. A book that consumed me in every way. A book that as I read it I lost four hours of my life because I was so consumed with the store.

I really liked the fact that in this story we follow a family and an older happily married couple instead of just young stupid kids. I also really liked how the story was built. As the story went on we learned more and more but unlike a lot of books today I never got confused.

The plot was interesting without being overly complected. Something that has been lost over time in books and is the idea of telling a story simply and it still being good. Often writers feel that a story must be as involved and convoluted as possible to be good, and I just don't think that is true.

I really enjoyed the whole family and the kind. All the characters in this book feel really and complete. I finished this book in less then 5 hours and I cannot wait to read the second book.

I would give this book a 8.7 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment